India has the most poverty-stricken
regions on the planet.
there is an immense need
- 75% of India's population lives in rural poverty.
- 700 million people in India live on $2 a day or less.
- 42% of children in the country under the age of 5 are underweight.
- 58% of children under 5 were stunted.
- There are over 25 million orphans in India today, more than any other country in the world.
- 44 million children in India are considered impoverished.
- Nearly 40% of teenage girls give birth.
- 18% of girls are married by age 15 and 47% are married by age 18.
- 51% of girls do NOT receive a secondary education.
Statistics cited from UNICEF and World Bank.